Welcome to "The MAC"!
Mackinaw's program is designed to take a student with no credit, to the goal of a high school diploma in TWO school years. Mackinaw is the alternative high school in Saginaw Township. Mackinaw awards a high school diploma from the Saginaw Township Community School district.
Mackinaw High School is a student-centered, proficiency-based program, geared toward preparing students for success in Delta College certificate programs and beyond. Students completing all requirements will receive a Saginaw Township Community Schools' Mackinaw diploma and will have a direct link to Delta College certificate programs.
A Student Center is available to provide additional support for students to meet the required learning objectives. The staff has carefully scrutinized the teaching and learning research. This research has been put into practice to create an environment which allows students to focus on learning.
Changes and adjustments continue to be made as opportunities arise to better meet the needs of students. The staff strives to provide the best opportunities for students to be successful. Mackinaw is truly an alternative learning environment that will continue to evolve to meet the needs of the students.
All teachers at Mackinaw are highly qualified and truly care about your child's education. Each student has an advisor. An advisor’s role is to be a student's school mentor. A student can meet with advisors daily but at minimum students are required to meet with the advisor at least once per week. Students can use the advisor as a resource to help the students stay on track academically, answer questions, as well as keep track of student attendance and discipline. Parents and guardians may call advisors at any time to access information about your child's progress. Parents and guardians will receive progress reports and have the opportunity to attend parent/teacher conferences during the year.
Mackinaw's school day: Monday through Thursday -9:00 am to 4:15 pm.
Friday –9:00 am to 12 noon
Students have lots of choices.
1) Students NOT 16 by September 1st of this school year must attend school daily and for the full school day. They may NOT leave for lunch. These students are subject to all State of Michigan attendance laws.
2) Students 16 and over by September 1st may choose between three different options:
a) Full Day Schedule Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 4:15 pm. Full time students age 16 and over may leave campus for lunch
b)Morning or A.M. Schedule Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
c) Afternoon or P.M. Schedule Monday through Friday 12:15 pm to 4:15 pm
*** Part time students are NOT permitted to leave and return during their session.
Math, English, Science, Computers, Advisory, PE, Civics, Health, Career Planning
Mackinaw has two types of classroom designs:
1) The structured classrooms: Classes in the structured hallway are teacher led with a technology piece beginning the class, followed by student application of presented concept, assessment concluding with a reflection piece.
2) The self-paced classrooms: Teachers acting as facilitators in a lab-type setting with students completing assigned work based on student ability and need.
Breakfast and lunch are available through the school lunch program at a small cost.
STARS busing system is used as the transportation to and from Mackinaw. Upon departure at the end of a student’s session, a student is given two tokens. One token to use to get home and one token to use to get back to school in the morning.
STARS BUS RIDERS
Monday – Thursday
1) Full Day students should get on a bus near home at 8:00 am. This bus will take them to the Johnson Street bus station for an 8:40 am (transfer) departure to Mackinaw High School arriving at 9:00 am.
2) End of Day – A bus will arrive for pickup at Mackinaw High School at 4:15 pm. Students should sign out and board the bus immediately after the 6th hour bell rings at 4:15 pm. This bus will depart for the downtown Johnson Street station where students can transfer to a different bus that will take them closest to home. Students who miss the bus will be responsible for their own transportation home.
1) Students should get on a bus near home at 8:00 am. This bus will take them to the Johnson Street bus station for an 8:40 am (transfer) departure to Mackinaw High School arriving at 9:00 am.
2) At 11:55 am a bus will arrive for pickup at Mackinaw. At 12 noon SHARP, the bus will depart for the downtown station. Students who miss the bus will be responsible for their own transportation home.
For further information on Mackinaw, please call 799-8470. We look forward to hearing from you and answering any questions you may have.